Saturday, June 26, 2010

Kindergarten Korner

One of my favorite parts of teaching kindergarten were the cutest, most outrageous things the kids said and their various viewpoints on the adult world. And, so I share with you, the first installment of "Kindergarten Korner." Enjoy - hope you get as big a smile out of these darlings as I did! :)

-On Career Day, while the police officer is taking questions from the kids: "Do you carry peppermint spray?"

-I had a mom email me one day asking if I was interested in a class pet...she had found a ferret in her living room! I declined the little critter, but put out an email to the school seeing if anyone else was interested. This was one of the responses I got from a co-teacher: "Oh, this is definitely a story for your book. I suggest the title, 'Is There a Class Pet in your Living Room?'"

-Kid: "One time, my mom and I were driving to my grandma's house. She lives in like a dump in the woods. And there is this pond, with aligators. And, I jumped in and wrestled one. And it was hard. And, then, it like bit me on the hand."

-Kid 1: "What's juevie?"
Kid 2: "Kid jail."

-According the students in my class, when you grow up, you have to pay bills, get married, "get" kids...and then after all of that, you get a house!

-On the 100th day of school, while talking about what we might look like when we are 100 years old, one student suggested you might need a cane. This conversation followed:
Kid 1: "What's a cane look like?"
Kid 2: "You know - it's a stick that looks like a candy cane."

-Kid 1: "Knock, knock."
Kid 2: "Who's there?"
Kid 1: "Banana."
Kid 2: "Banana who?"
Kid 1: "Aren't you glad I didn't say 'orange?'"

-When a child came out of the bathroom and found a silver binder ring on the floor in there, I heard: "Mrs. Libick - I found your earring in the bathroom!"

-Kid: "Look, Mrs. Libick - I have a thermometer in my lunchbox, and it's supposed to keep my lunch warm!"
Me: "No, that's called a thermos."

-Kid: "Mrs. Libick, I had a bubble in my throat and I popped it and now it hurts."

-You've heard of the man who helped lead the Civil Rights Movement, right? You know - Martin "Luten" King, Jr.

-While talking to my students about how their behavior the previous day made me cry that afternoon, a student so helpfully suggested that when I feel that way, I should just go: "Lord, help me!"

-Kid: "My dad's on a trip for work in Hoo-ston!"

-When I knocked over a box of binder rings one afternoon, I (sarcastically) said, "Sweet." A student heard me and replied: "Sweet nibbles!" I believe it was supposed to be: "Sweet nibblets," off of Hannah Montana.

-Kid: "Mrs. Libick - I've never had a nickname. I'm just going to give myself one. How about 'Sally?!'"

-Kid: "Mrs. Libick, you know that place where cops go? You know, when the cops go to jail? That's a dangerous place because there are lots of strangers."

-While reading a book about Thanksgiving, there is a picture of a turkey family hugging and kissing because the whole family is together...Kid: "Ewwwwww! I'm not getting married!"

-A debate about Santa Claus was going on in my class.
Kid 1: "No, Santa's not real, those presents just come from your mom and dad."
Kid 2: "Then, why do I hear his footsteps? Why are the cookies gone in the morning? Who do YOU see at the mall?"

-I got a director's chair with my name on it for my birthday, for my classroom. Here were two comments about it the next morning.
Kid 1: "Was that e-spensive?"
Kid 2: "That's an action chair. Where you sit and yell, 'Action!'"

-Me: "Did you do anything exciting this weekend?"
Kid: "I went to church."
Me: "Oh! What church do you go to?"
Kid: "Sunday School."

-Kid 1: "Oh - your parents are just like my parents! They never have any money."
Kid 2: "Yeah, my mom and dad have to wait until they get their allowance."
Kid 1: "My mom and dad owe me $1!"

-Kid: "When I'm a teenager, I'll be old enough to live in a hotel."

-Kid: "Mrs. Libick, my tooth is coming in cricket." (Meaning crooked.)

-A conversation I overheard one day: "If you're not going to be my friend in high school, then I'm not going to be your friend in college."

-I had a kid whose dad gave him a digital watch, so every 10 minutes he was coming up to me that morning going, "Mrs. Libick, I know what time it is! It's 9-4-1."

-A girl is moving to another town. She informed that her mom took their house to the market. (Put it on the market.)

-In the YMCA line, I hear this, at the end of the day: "Teacher! C just poked D in his b-o-t!" (Butt.)

More to come... :)

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Very cute!!! =] The one about the kid finding your 'earring' in the bathroom made me laugh out loud!

DO said...

You sneaky girl! Here I was thinking I had something to teach YOU about blogging and you had your own all along! I'm enjoying your stories and look forward to more.
Deborah
PS - J still misses you lots.

DO said...

Dear Mrs. Libick-
Are you having a good summer? How fun of everything a place. I'm having a good summer at Sunshine. I got cheerleading at Sunshine House. I have silly bands - but only one bird and so many castles. I got a new bike. It's pink. I miss you.
Julianne