Friday, June 18, 2010

Proposal Story

Just like with 5 Question Friday, I do like some of the topics that other, more in depth bloggers offer up as blogging suggestions. I read one today about sharing your proposal story. I'm not sure I've ever shared the story, in depth on here before, so with that...let's go back to the summer of 2008.

After knowing each other for over 8 years, growing up together, and being high school sweethearts, Steve and I knew that we wanted to be together and had made our relationship last through so much, that we were meant to be together. We had spent the spring looking at engagement rings, talking about probable wedding dates for the year to come, and the other things that go with the potential of getting engaged. I had a feeling that the engagement would come sometime during the 2008 summer, and I had finally narrowed down my favorite rings to 2 or 3, leaving the final decision up to my fiance to be.
Steve had spent the summer working 40 hours a week and preparing for his checkride to become a certified flight instructor. He was scheduled to finish it up on Friday, July 18. The weekend before, my family and I (plus Steve) went to spend the weekend at my grandparents' lake house in east Texas. (Not) to my knowledge, Steve had asked my dad for my hand and his blessing on that Sunday morning, while they were out fishing together. We loaded up to head home on that Sunday afternoon. Steve had a busy week of work and final cramming for his flight instructor test (along with picking up the engagement ring and getting all proposal details worked out). The plan, all along, was for us to have a celebration dinner on Friday, the 18th, when he got home from the FAA. Early in the week, he got a call to finish his checkride a day early. So, on Thursday, the 17th - Steve became an official certified flight instructor, got home late that evening, and we made plans to go ahead and celebrate on the next day, Friday.

Steve showed up at my house Friday evening with a beautiful bouquet of flowers for "helping him study and being so patient with him with his flight instructing checkride." We headed out for dinner (where I was paying since we were celebrating his accomplishment. Never did I think I would be paying for dinner on the night we got engaged - all a part of his plan.)













Little did I know that Steve had the ring box in his pocket the entire time we were together that evening! Dinner was great, and afterwards, he suggested we go out to the state park at the lake to watch the sunset and just talk. (You have to know that both of our families are huge lake families, fishing is one of his passions, and going to walk by the lake is somet
hing we'd done before.) On our way there, I noticed a car pulled over to the side of the road. It was his sister, Sherri's car! I asked him why Sherri was headed out there (and wondered why she'd been pulled over). He said she was bringing his niece out to swim for awhile. I bought the story, and down the road we headed. Once we got to the lake, we walked around the trail and he picked a park bench, overlooking the lake at sunset - of course, so we could sit. Steve pulled a letter out of his pocket that he had written me. It talked about how much he loved me, how he wanted to be with me, and how he was proud of me for (trying) to be patient as the right time for our engagement came. I started to cry, just in time for him to tell me he had something else for me. He got up, pulled a ring box from his pocket, and got down on one knee. He said something to the effect of, "Heather - I love you. Will you marry me?" My first response? "ARE YOU FOR REAL?!" He just laughed, smiled, and nodded. I, of course, said, "YES!" *Enter hugging, kissing, and tears* My ring was beautiful - the one I'd hoped he would have chosen.














Lo and behold - Sherri had been coming out to take pictures and capture the entire proposal! We took some pictures, went home to break the news to family and friends, and simply enjoy and celebrate the moment. The very next day, after only being engaged for about 12 hours - I attended my first bridal show with Mom and my MOH by my side, and we all celebrated together a week later with a family engagement party.
July 18, 2009 was a possible wedding date that we had talked about (one that we were favoring), and Steve had purposely picked that day to propose. And, so - one year to the day that he asked me to be his wife, we said "I do." In fact, today we have been married for 11 months. Next month, we will celebrate 1 year of marriage. It has been the best year of my life! It's hard to believe it's been almost 2 years since he proposed. What a good way to remind myself of the way my husband loves me...by recounting this story and pictures.
And, the rest is history...

No comments: