Steve and I went over to my grandmother's today to look at a chair she was getting rid of, due to getting a new one. She had asked us if we wanted it. One of the first questions she said was, "Well, will it go with your decor?" I just laughed as I reminded her we had no set "decor" in the apartment. She replied with, "Yeah, I guess you're going with the 'early marriage' look." So true a statement, though. Our recliner, couch, entertainment center, dresser, (now) new chair to replace an older, existing one, and other select pieces of furniture we own are from our parents or were in our own rooms at home. I realized that although our furniture and things in our apartment are not all new, they sure fit the term of "early marriage" and were passed down with great love from their previous owners...owners who exhibit that love to us in so many ways.
It made me think that if able, of course, I'd love to go out and buy a new living room set, new bedroom suite, and nice, new things for our apartment (I'd love to be able to buy a house instead of our apartment). But, that's not what matters in this stage of our "early" marriage. Brand new furniture and decor wouldn't make Steve and I any stronger a husband or wife...just a broke husband and wife. :) It's all about putting your priorities straight. We do not ever argue about how much we love each other, religion, politics, how we want to raise our kids - in their schooling, in the church, giving them opportunities we couldn't have, how thankful we are for our families, places we want to travel, how much time we want to spend together, and how much we support each other. So, if at the end of the day, I can be curled up next to my husband, watching a tv show we have both agreed on, in a chair that was handed down from a grandmother who exemplified great love in her marriage, talking about our future and agreeing on the most important key elements...then, I'll take this "early marriage" decor and enjoy for as long as it's supposed to be mine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment